Friday, January 12, 2007

Chef Chris!!

Ok, so for those of you who really know me or who have lived with me a while you know that I'm not a cook. For most of my life cold cereal has been my specialty dish. (i'm not kidding!)

Katie and I have gotten hooked into this show on Bravo called Top Chef and we really like the main Chef on the show Tom Colicchio. Unlike myself Katie really enjoys cooking and is really really good at it so for Christmas I got her a cooking book by Chef Tom called "Think like a Chef" it's got a lot of recipies in it, but more than anything, it's really a book that teaches you (like the title says) how to really think about food the way a chef does. I ended up reading most of it and thought it looked really good and down to earth. Plus, all the recipies in the book are SUPER easy (literally like 2 or 3 steps) so I figured the odds of me not messing it up couldn't be THAT bad, so with Katie home sick today......

I decided to run out to the store and try making a pan roasted salmon (the original recipie called for striped bass, but the store didn't have that). To make a long story short, I made the meal and it turned out SO well!!!! You really don't know how big of a thing this is for me, one time when I was a kid I made pancakes and threw up. (Again.....not kidding!) :)

Not only did it turn out so well (Katie kept raving over and over while we were eating it how good it was), I really had a lot of fun cooking it and now that I've done it once, I'd have even more fun making it again now that I kinda know what I'm doing. :) I was so impressed that I didn't burn it in the pan I took some pictures of it. :)

Enjoy!





Men, for those of you want to relieve your wife/girlfriend from cooking every night (she'll love it) go out and buy this book! It's seriously is easy AND kinda fun (or at least rewarding when you're eating the meal!). Or of course, if you're a bachelor and you're eating frozen pizzas 4 times a week this might be a good step in the right direction too! :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey you and Katie can get me this cook book for my birthday... if you can cook it, it'll probably be a winner for me! i hope you guys are doing well.

Anne said...

Do you do take-out orders? hahaha :)

Elizabeth said...

Chris,
I hope you don't mind I added your website and blog to my blog because I have some photos you took on my blog. More publicity for you! Aren't I a nice friend?
www.elizabethlepley.blogspot.com

p.s. My blog may look like I am a most conceited person, but I made it for the purpose of accompanying my resume.... so there you have it. ;) see ya soon.
p.p.s does Kiki get self-consious of you taking photos of her food? :) hee-hee

Tim Halberg said...

haha... I LOVE cooking! but with work I always let Cheryl do it!

We just did salmon the other night, but I think yours looks a lot prettier than mine does!